Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame logo
Home | Contact the Hall
New Website Coming Soon
Building Legends by Remembering Legends

Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame Family Mourns the Loss of Johnny "Red" Robertson

Published: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:00 pm By: Joey Martin Source: Concordia Sentinel

FERRIDAY -- Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame member Johnny "Red" Robertson, who led Ferriday High to four state championships and a state record 54-game streak without a loss, died Tuesday at the age of 88 in his adopted hometown of Ferriday.

Johnny Red RobertsonVisitation will be held Thursday from 5-8 p.m. at Ferriday First Baptist Church and funeral services are slated for Friday at 2 p.m. under the direction of Young's Funeral Home of Ferriday. His wife of 58 years, Jimmie S. Robertson, survives him, along with his sister, Jaquelyn Robertson of Victoria, Texas; and his four sons: David, John, and Mike Robertson of Baton Rouge, and Todd Robertson of Tyler, Texas.

A World War II veteran of the U.S. Navy, Robertson was enshrined in the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in 2002 in a class including LSU baseball coach and athletic director Skip Bertman and jockey Eddie Delahoussaye. He was also inducted in 1982 in the Graduate N Club Hall of Fame at his alma mater, Northwestern State, and in 1989 entered the Louisiana High School Sports Hall of Fame.

Robertson led Ferriday High to a Class B state championship in 1953 and three straight Class A state titles from 1954-57. The 54-game unbeaten streak is still a state record.

"I look back and remember how much I enjoyed what I was doing and sometimes wonder how we could get that many talented boys together that many years in a row," Robertson said when talking about the streak seven years ago. "You may have success once out of every four years, I was fortunate to be part of good teams for four years. That was really special. The wins were a tribute to those boys. I was glad to be a part of something like that. There is always a chance it will be broken, but that's what records are made for."

"It's a sad day in my life," said former Ferriday and LSU All-American Max Fugler from his office in Spring, Texas. "For me to say everything about what he meant to me would take too long. He was a great mentor to all of us. You just can't say enough about Johnny 'Red' Robertson. Not only was he my mentor, he was my friend during the time he coached me and afterwards. We lost a great human being."

Concordia Parish Clerk of Court Clyde Ray Webber played for Robertson

"Coach Robertson touched so many lives," Webber said. "Other than my dad and Coach (James Otto) Lancaster, he had more influence on my life than anybody. He was a super guy. And when football season started, you didn't have to worry about us being on the streets, we were on the football field."

Vidalia High head football coach Dee Faircloth got to know Robertson when Robertson worked for the Concordia Parish School Board.

"Coach Robertson was one of the greatest coaches in the history of Louisiana High School football," Faircloth said, "and an even greater person. I always enjoyed talking to him when he visited the school or ate in the cafeteria. Coach developed a lot of youngsters into great players and great young men. He definitely left his mark on this earth."

Robertson was born June 28, 1924 in Shreveport, and grew up across the Red River in Bossier City, where he played football and ran track at Bossier High. As a senior in 1942, Robertson helped Bossier to an undefeated season and Class A state championship.

He joined the U.S. Navy after graduation, and spent three years as an aircraft mechanic, mostly in Hawaii. He was discharged in February of 1946 and headed to LSU to play football.

The end of World War II brought thousands of G.I.s home to college. Enrollment and rosters expanded.

LSU coaches advised Robertson to attend junior college until the ranks thinned out, but the hard-nosed athlete opted to attend Northwestern State, where he lettered four years at guard and end under legendary coach Harry Turpin.

Robertson arrived in Ferriday in spring of 1950 as a teacher. In the fall of 1950, Robertson returned close to home to coach football at Haughton, while also starting summer classes that would eventually lead him to a master's degree from the University of Arkansas.

"My sister (Jacquelyn) told me since I went to college I should take up something I can make money at," Robertson recalled. "But it wasn't about money. I wanted to do something I liked to do. And I wouldn't do anything different. I was very happy coaching and teaching. I could have taken a job with more money, but I may not have enjoyed it."

In 1951, the 27-year-old Robertson returned to Ferriday to take over the football program.

"The job came open here and I came back to start coaching," said Robertson, who made Ferriday his home ever since.

Robertson got out of coaching after the 1957 season when the Bulldogs went 6-2-1, as a young family man accepting a pay raise to become principal of Ferriday Junior High, bringing down the curtain on one of the most remarkable coaching runs in Louisiana sports history.

Hall of Fame Inductees

Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame | 500 Front Street | Natchitoches, LA 71497
Copyright 2010 Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame. All Rights Reserved. Sitemap